Service Changes – Broad Street reopens from Sunday 5th June 2022

Following the completion of Metro works, the following bus services will be returning to Broad Street in Birmingham city centre from Sunday 5th June.

Service 126 (Dudley to Birmingham) will operate from Broad Street via Sheepcote Street, St Vincent Street, King Edwards Road and Cambridge Street to maintain a regular service through that area.

Wolverhampton changes

4 i54 – Wolverhampton will be extended to Spring Hill, replacing the 15 service between Wolverhampton and Penn. 15 Wolverhampton – Merry Hill will now run along Penn Road.

Other changes

School service 17S (Sheldon Heath Academy to Birmingham city centre) is withdrawn as it is covered by the 17 service.

A number of other services also have timetable changes from the same date, please refer to:

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
guest

12 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Mike
Mike
27 days ago

People are missing the point here. Nobody on residential roads in Smethwick are expecting direct buses everywhere around region as NX were suggesting. They expect buses to Bearwood and Oldbury two popular shopping centres locally. This wouldnt just enable direct links to them but would enable them to switch buses to wider West Midlands as many buses dont serve West Brom like 12, 13, X8, 126. Just poor planning by NX. All the buses bizarrly go to West Brom where those services arent located and even switching for the 4 and 3 for Blackheath takes an utter age as our buses are incredibly indirect adding huge journey times on top so makes going to places like Blackheath uninviting.

Mike
Mike
1 month ago

People in my area go to a variety of places, Birmingham is not a big draw as people stick to local centres in Sandwell and as long as bus goes to 87 or 12 and trains people arent that bothered. A bit of obsession with West Brom and Birmingham. People by me go to West Brom but Bearwood Oldbury and Cape Hill equally so either need the buses to do more provide better links to buses or need a mix. West Brom to Bearwood buses are more important as people can link to other services. I thought the 89 changing to West Brom was a mistake as it gave local Cape Hill Oldbury links and more choice. Its just not as attractive to use buses by me as less choice less options with one infrequent bus taking sn age to get to places. These sort of changes were wrong imo as I know the local area and what people need

Mike
Mike
1 month ago

A lot of people are put off using buses by the changes made over the years. They made Bearwood to West Brom quicker by missing out Smethwick High St section this actually put off many bus users in Smethwick and Warley as yes the bus is quicker to few destinations but in reality there were less local links and High St took off, which many in Bearwood and Warley use for council, banking, train library services, plus many in between used the link to Bearwood and Warley from Smethwick like me, it turned people off as they had to get two buses for a short journey and extra walking so turned to cars and taxis. It made journeys more hassle and longer just by removing an important local link. Long term less are using buses generally as buses do less serve less sections. Change doesnt automatically equal more use and no locals were consulted.

Tim Walton
Tim Walton
1 month ago

Does this mean that the 23 and 24 to Birmingham will continue to go via New St Station? What about the bus routes mentioned going in the opposite direction. The information listed above is NOT very clear!

Roger Davis
Roger Davis
1 month ago

So with all these buses how reliable will the tram be ? The worst decision yet by this stupid administration

Carl
Carl
1 month ago
Reply to  Stu Johnson

I would say that road Street ois only going to be served by Buses and Trams…may be taxis as well! Meaning that all through traffick will be diverted away.. I get the point about the buses getting delayed because of the trams. I’ll have to find out who’s idea it was to do this!

Tim Walton
Tim Walton
1 month ago
Reply to  Carl

There will be no cars allowed down Broad St from Sheepcote St to the town end of Broad St. There will be no stopping allowed in Broad St as it is now marked out as a Red Route. There is at least one bus laybye ( for our of town traffic) so that’s something. I live just off Broad St, so things will be much easier for me once the buses and trams return (I am 74 and use a stick to get around).

Carl
Carl
22 days ago
Reply to  Tim Walton

Oh right Tim. I have travelled on one of the services now and have seen for myself what it looks like. There were cars after Sheepcote Street but don’t know why that was!… MMA who have done the road makings for the bus stops have done it incorrectly as they have put two bus stops in towards Birmingham but there’s only actually one stop! I personally don’t know why NX haven’t just put the 9, 12 12A, 13 and 13A down Broad Street, meaning they would have left the 23 and 24 doing Tennant Street inbound and then Broad Street Out bound. I also personally don’t know why they have left the 126 around the back…

Tim Walton
Tim Walton
22 days ago
Reply to  Carl

I don’t understand your comment. There are three stops on Broad Street going into town, all with shelters. Just before Sheepcote St, by the old Eye Hospital, One for Brindley Place & one at Centenary Square.
Coming out of town there are also three, but only two shelters. One Outside the Exchange (Old Municipal Bank), One for Brindley place in a layby, but no shelter as the pavement there isn’t wide enough and one just past Brindley place.

The route of the old 23/4 route has caused problems for ages as there are sharp turns for the buses and there have been a few bad accidents (not with buses) at the junction behind Cineworld. The other stops in Holloway Head are not so heavily used and they are still in use for the X21, X22 & 80.

The 23/24 now goes down broad Street and turns right and then goes past New St Station. All other buses turn left and go down great Charles Street. The 126 has been left going down Sheepcote Street to keep the people who live down there happy!!!

I have seen a number of cars breaking the law already going down Broad Street further than they should. Hopefully, they have cameras to issue the gormless idiots who can’t read signs with fixed penalty tickets.

Carl
Carl
22 days ago
Reply to  Tim Walton

Hi Tim..
The stop at Sheepcote Street has two road marketing one actually by the shelter and one just in front which would mean that there would be 2 inbound stops at Sheepcote Street.. But the company who did the road making (MMA) have incorrectly done two road marking for that one bus stop. Yes I know why the 126 has been kept around the back but in my view I doubt that it will e kept around their for much longer.

I didn’t realise that the old route of the 23!24 had porblems. I thought it was a very good little route (although not very well used stops!)

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x